Sunday, September 2, 2012

About Four weeks ago I started an art quilt for the Victorian Guild and I wanted to do something on my relationship with my mother.  My mum has had a long history with depression and my earliest memory is when I was about 9 years old and I came out for breakfast and my Dad was cooking.  My Dad never cooked and I thought this was so odd.  Years later I realized that mum had been admitted to hospital and Dad was in charge of feeding my sister, baby brother and I, till my grandmother came to look after us.
As I started into this quilt I was recalling some of the recent time with mum who is now 73 and has a complicated health history.  I was choosing colours and as it is my quilt I found it hard not to pick the ones that she likes and having to remind myself that this is for me.
This is the start of the quilt that I will need to finish in the next 4 to 5 weeks.  Last Thursday just by coincidence mum was admitted to hospital with a urinary tract infection and it has played havoc with her meds and she is in a bad way.  She has been transferred to the psy ward to help stabilize her.

2 comments: